Raising the Bar for Swansea, Neath & Port Talbot
Raising the Bar offers students studying at further education the chance to gain a wider experience of the visual and applied arts. Alongside their current studies, they will experience several master classes held at Mission Gallery and Swansea College of Art, UWTSD. The students will expand their creative practice by enjoying access to outstanding facilities, processes and technical workshops.
Participants will be given the opportunity to work alongside professional artists and designers in a series of Saturday master classes, across a wide range of specialist Art and Design areas. Through this exploration Raising the Bar hopes to support and encourage these young people, in becoming the artists and designers of our future.
Raising the Bar is available for more able and talented students in Swansea and Neath Port Talbot studying at Further Education level (BTEC, A & A/S Level).
About the programme.
- Taking place from October onwards, the programme includes five master class workshops led by professional Artists and Designers:
- These may be in such areas as: Film & Animation, Photography, Drawing & Printmaking, Textile Design, Jewellery and Glass, Ceramics, Product Design and Illustration.
- Working with professional facilities at Mission Gallery, Swansea College of Art UWTSD along with visiting other creative studios, galleries and colleges further afield.
- There will also be invitations for participants to take part in residency’s and commissions. Notably each year one Raising the Bar student will receive the opportunity to have his/her own studio over the summer at Elysium Studios. This is all centered on inspiring discussion and extending the participants future creative practice and careers.
- The programme also includes study trips to cities such as Cardiff, Bristol and London. In years previously our participants visited Spike Island Open, Central Saint Martin’s Summer Exhibitions, as well as New Designers in London.
- As a final outcome, the students will exhibit the work created during the master classes as part of Mission Gallery’s exhibition programme. This is a great opportunity to experience the curation and execution of an exhibition within a professional gallery space.
- All materials are provided. Each participant will receive a Raising the Barcertificate on completion that can be included in further education portfolios, as well as a Mission Gallery ‘Art Materials Kit’ to support them on their time throughout the programme and beyond.
Application Deadline: 30 September 2019
*Funding & Support available, contact gallery to learn more.
*Classes take place on Saturdays throughout the year, you will need to arrange your own transport, lunch and refreshments.